Sunday, January 23, 2011

Call Display

God phoned me the other day. And because of call display, I almost didn't answer. I didn't recognize the number and it was from another area code, so I assumed it was some sort of survey or telemarketing attempt. I don't know what made me answer, but I was so glad I did.

Because God doesn't call every day, you know.

I had been agonizing in prayer over something that I've been holding up to Him for what seems like forever. Recently, God has been opening up to me new revelations on faith and deceptions I have believed for a long time, and frankly, I was expecting something amazing and dramatic to come right away and fix the situation.

When it went from difficult to worse, I got confused. And then determined that I had to do what I thought I should do even though it didn't feel like the big step of faith I thought I should be doing. It felt like I was trying to fix the situation in my own strength. But I decided to lean on the truth that God knows my heart and that He is my shepherd and will not forsake me. So I took my step of faith that felt like the opposite of a step of faith.

And God phoned me to tell me everything will be all right.

Actually, it was a call, out of the blue, from a ministry I just started to partner with. They called to see how I was enjoying the material I received and if I wanted prayer for anything. But I knew that I knew that I knew that God was aware of where I was at and that I needed to hear from Him in a tangible way.

After I hung up, I thought about my call display and how close I was to not answering the phone. And wondered, would Jesus use call display? Would He screen calls, or would He be ready to answer each one? Would He use it to know who was calling so He would have just the right word for them or would He not use it at all, preferring to be pleasantly surprised by each call He received?

That led me to wonder about how I use call display. Sometimes I choose not to answer. Sometimes I pray for grace first before I answer. Most times I am happy to answer. And sometimes I like to see who called but didn't leave a message. I will tell you this, after receiving that divinely appointed phone call, I will be thinking twice about not answering when my phone rings.

0 comments: